Plastic Free Chorley With Surfers Against Sewage.
We want to get Chorley certified as a ‘Plastic Free Community’. We know that is would be impossible to reduce all forms of plastic in the town which is why we are focusing on single-use plastics. Surfers Against Sewage are a charity that has set up guidelines on how we can get certified as a plastic-free community. It may not be easy but I think we have the power to change the town.
To get involved please use our contact form below for more details 🙂
We have to complete 5 stages to be awarded the Plastic Free Community Status:
1. Firstly the council must be on board, they can make a difference to decisions affecting the community.
2. We must sign up TWELVE local businesses who each have to swap THREE single-use items for a sustainable alternative. Each business that makes the changes will be mentioned in our Green Business Directory & the business who has shown the most enthusiasm and that has gone above and beyond will be awarded our ‘Plastic Free Champion Award’
3. We need to plan some impactful events whether that be fundraising or a Mass Unwrap at the supermarket!
4. We need to team up with other local schools, community groups and organisations to spread the word about our mission so we can all do our bit.
5. Lastly, we need to create a small steering group of super-passionate folks who can continue the good work after we have been certified and keep improving our community for the better.